Frequently Asked Questions

At North Coast Motorcycle Training we get asked many questions about the services we provide. Here are some of the most common questions and answers.


Q: Where will my training take place?
A: Our training grounds are at Perranporth Airfield, Higher Trevellas St, Saint Agnes TR5 0XS and Blackwater Primary School, North Hill, Blackwater, Truro TR4 8ES. You will be told which location you will be training at when you book.

Q: Will I need to bring my own equipment?
A: No, we have a range of helmets and equipment such as gloves, over trousers, boots and jackets but if you have your own you are welcome to wear them for your comfort as long as they meet the required safety standards.

Q: Do I need a driving licence to train with you?
A: In order to complete any of our training courses you will need to hold a UK provisional or full driving licence. It is not necessary to have a full car licence for any course but if you hold a full UK car licence this is also fine.

Q: What I do need to bring with me on the day?
A: We can provide all the safety equipment required so all you need is your driving licence, lunch and a positive mental attitude to learning.

Q: Do I need to know the Highway Code?
A: A good knowledge of the Highway Code is essential for any highway user. You can read the Highway Code here:

Q: How long will I be there?
A: CBT courses usually last 6 to 8 hours depending on the number of students on the course and their current experience levels. You will be told the start time for your CBT course in your booking confirmation email. DAS course usually start at either 8am or 9am and finish at approximately 1pm or 2pm on days 1 & 3. The start and finish times on days 2 & 4 will depend on the times of your tests.

Q: Should I ride a manual or an automatic on my CBT?
A: This depends on what sort of bike you are looking to ride once you have completed your course. A manual bike is a motorbike with gears, an automatic bike is a twist and go moped or scooter. If you are considering booking a manual CBT course and you have never ridden a motorbike before we strongly suggest that you either book a trial lesson on a geared 125cc bike before booking in for CBT or think about starting your riding career by doing your CBT on an automatic.

Q: Will I need to bring lunch with me?
A: Yes, if you are attending a full day course you will need to bring lunch.

Q: Can I book my friend to train with me?
A: Yes, as long as you both hold the relevant licence for the course/lesson you want. You will need to book both spaces on the course/lesson at the same time.

Q: Will my training be cancelled due to adverse weather conditions?
A: No, training will only be cancelled in the unlikely event of snow or ice or extremely high winds. However, do please dress accordingly for the weather conditions with layers for under the bike kit if the forecast is cold/wet.

Q: What happens if I need to cancel my training?
A: If you inform us more than 48 hours in advance then we can move or cancel your training with no charge. Cancellations with less than 48 hours notice will incur a cancellation fee.

Q: Can I do my theory test with you?
A: No, this must be done at a DSA test centre, you can find a link to the booking page for your theory test below.

Q: How do I book my theory test?
A: Your test can be booked at or by calling 0300 2001122. You do not need a theory test to do your CBT.

If you have any questions that are not answered above feel free to email them to us at or give us a call on 07709 631225.


Useful links